Monday 10 August 2009

Targets

Today is really tough. I have people chasing me for payments left right and centre and I don't have the cash to pay them.

I have stopped all my paid advertising, moved half the sales people onto comission only and I'm just trying to do leadgen from my existing database.

I'd love to walk away right now as this is like pulling teeth but I have responsibilities to try and finish this in the best way possible.

OK, so enough mellow drama. Onto positive matters.

I am treating this job like a sales job and setting targets for myself. Right now the most important thing I need is targetted traffic. The way I am measuring this is by using googles predicted searches as a value. Then for all first page rankings I achieve I add these numbers together.

So, for instance:

Blue widgets - 13,000 searches/mo
Red widgets - 7,000 searches/mo

If I ranked on first page for both of these terms I would give myself 20,000 towards my target.

My 3 months target is 300,000 search value ranked on first page.

This would hopefully mean:

300,000 searches = 6,000 clicks (2% CTR) = 300 conversions (5% conversion rate) = £6,000/mo profit (with avg. sale value at £20).

That all sounds rosey but there are many risks involved, which are:
  1. I might not get rankings in 3 months (I should be able to but you never know)
  2. I might not get 2% CTR. Google's traffic estimator works on a basis of 0.5% for top 1-3 paid advertisers. I know with good page titles I can beat this so I am hoping 2% is a good number.
  3. I might not get 5% conversion rate. 5% conversion rate is high for a clickbank affiliate product, and even some CPA offers, but it can be done. What I am hoping will save this figure is that I will be doing leadgen for offline companies where with a good landing page I know I can get 10%+ conversion rate and also sell the lead to more than one company.
So, for instance lets say I get a 0.5% CTR and a 2% conversion rate. The above formula would look like this:

300,000 searches = 1,500 clicks (0.5% CTR) = 30 conversions (2% conversion rate) = £600/mo profit (with avg. sale value at £20).

Now if that happens it won't even cover my setup costs as I am planning to spend around £2,000/mo on articles, domains, hosting & link building services. I may also need to hire a VA on top.

Over the 3 months I will try to optimise around 600 keywords, with an estimated total search value of over 1 million searches, so I am aiming for a 30% success rate within 3 months.

The thing that might save me is that I am sure to see a healthy amount of traffic from long tails that I am not specifically targeting. On my existing sites, that target competitive phrases, long tail keywords make up around 10% of my traffic.

By optimising so many keywords in such a short space of time, I am hoping that almost all of my sites will generate some longtail keyword traffic which will act as a bit of a safety barrier for my figures.

Truth be told I have never optimised keywords on anywhere near this scale in such a short space of time. If you had asked me a year ago I would have said it was impossible. It is only now my system is perfected and the new services available that I can make this happen.

I wrote down my whole optimisation process at the weekend and it is pretty fool proof as it uses a lot of automated systems for generating one way links.

I am taking a big risk with this. I do not have the money to do this so I am having to borrow it from my family. I know it may sound a little foolish to some but I have a good feeling about it and I believe that if I manage to hit my targets then the payoff will be worth it.

I have had enough of demanding customers/clients and high overheads. I want my monthly wage on autopilot so I can take some time out to travel around the world. I am 27 right now and I have been a workaholic since I was 19. It's time for me to reap some rewards from my experience.

Thnks for everyone who is being supportive. Shit hasn't really hit the fan yet so I am going to need it over the next few months.

6 comments:

  1. Lol, I'm 19, and will most likely be a workaholic for some time, BUT I will make lots of money very soon =)

    Currently working on developing an evergreen software... Is that something you haven't though of? Your plan for domination seems pretty crazy/extensive, meaning a lot of work is needed, as well as money.
    Why not use that money on some demanded software?

    Having your own product, means that you can get affiliates and a massive list. If you use your domination tactics to rank your own product well, having awesome affiliate resources etc. you can sure as hell make money way faster, also on autopilot. Btw, I know a great designer you can use, who is also very cheap. Feel free to contact me on the WF if interested. I'm Preben Frenning over there =)

    Good luck onwards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I dont get your maths.

    If you are google first page for lets just say 1 search phrase for simplicity that gets 300,000 searches pm.

    If we assume that all the clicks go to positions 1-10 on the first page.

    You'd get (on average) 126,300 click throughs to your site if you were in position 1 and 25,500 if you were in position 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tony,

    I have heard that said before but in reality it doesn't happen like that.

    Anyone who has done adwords advertising will tell you you can get anywhere from 0.5%-6% CTR being near the top.

    I have gone into my logs of google analytics to work out the predicted search vs actual traffic for natural listings. I am currently averaging 2.5% of the predicted search volume.

    I have seen so called "Gurus" who are touting their SEO courses claim that getting a #1 position will mean you get 60% of that traffic but it just isn't true (unfortunately).

    I don't know where the discrepency comes from but I have never personally seen a CTR above 10% and I have been doing this for a while.

    Hi Preben,

    I no longer want the responsibility of high overheads. To get software designed to a good standard you need to spend money. I just developed a online backup software for a client and it was one of the most stressful projects of my life.

    I am going to spend a little time in Zig Ziglar mode and help other people sell their products with my seo skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a side note sometimes it works the other way. I get lots of clicks from a term that google says doesnt get searched for.

    If I get #1 natural listing then I am sure I can get very good CTRs but I need to look at worst case scenarios also. Even is it makes me £600/mo then it will eventually make profit, it will just take me longer to realise it.

    If things go better than predicted (Which I always hope for) then you won't see me complaining.

    I am not trying to sell any marketing products here so my figures may look different to the ones you see on IM sales pages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another note about CTR in Google...
    Your meta description really has a lot to say. If you have the 3.rd spot, and your description is way more appealing than the others, you might see a crazy boost in CTR.
    And I haven't tried much, but I WOULD think ctr using ppc and ctr with organic results are pretty different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Google doesn't usually take your meta data for description. What I usually do is see what part it takes and then change text around until it takes the bit I want.

    CTR depends on position and the text used. I will be able to pot back my actual figures once i start getting some rankings.

    If I get higher traffic I will be pleased.

    ReplyDelete