Wednesday 12 August 2009

Emergency Plan

The cold hard reality of no cash is starting to dawn on me. If I am going to start up this venture I not only need to borrow money but also support myself at the same time.

On top of this I am trying to negotiate my outstanding debts into a long term loan, which whatever happens will be a large monthly premium.

The reality is unpleasant to look at but it's something I need to do. I need to rent out my property and probably move in with family until things pick up.

Ideally I don't want to do this. I have been thinking that it might be a better idea to go chill in a country with a lower cost of living and nice weather, but I am not sure where.

Philippines is cheap but I didn't like it over there. Too many kidnappings and terrorists.

I hear Thailand is nice but I don't know much about it. I was in Thailand once but never left the airport as it was just to catch a connecting flight.

I have never travelled before so I don't really know what the world is like. Can anyone suggest a nice country with a very low cost of living that I can escape to with my laptop for 6 months to get things off the ground?

5 comments:

  1. I live in a small town in Mexico; with access to the internet you can do anything nowdays, it's a beautiful, peaceful place. A good meal is worth $6 US dlls, you can rent a nice 2 bedroom house for $200 US dlls a month.

    I used to live in the city, but then I asked myself why? There are all the services here, and I'm away from the noise and stress.

    You need to sort out your business as fast as you can, those kind of problems are a real drain in your energy, the sooner you get past that, the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ayolov,

    $200/month, that sounds excellent.

    I know what you mean about finishing the business. I told the sales guys they could stay on comission until end of month to get their deals in and it has just turned into a big session of bickering, whining and trying to steal each others deals. I'm starting to resent their attitude strongly (especially with the amount of debt I'm carrying) and right now I don't think I will open the office door on monday. I just want this behind me so that I can get back on track (hopefully without murdering someone first).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if you would need an emergency plan.
    You obviously know a lot about IM, so why not do it for local businesses?
    You can take one heavy week, creating websites, selling autoresponders with a monthly fee etc. That's pretty fast money, if you're really in trouble.

    But if you really need a place to stay for a while, I'd say Vietnam.

    I've been to both Thailand and Vietnam recently, and liked Vietnam best. Really nice people, really cheap living. (Maybe half the price of Thailand?) Might not be as good internet there though. At least if you're not in the tourist places.

    Thailand is good too, but stay away from Bangkok. It gets stressful after a while. Chiang Mai is better in that case.

    ReplyDelete